Thursday, November 17, 2016

The writer who is ecstatic for the Trump victory

This letter appeared in my local newspaper yesterday.

Copyright © 2016 The Salt Lake Tribune

Ugh. Gloating! I couldn’t stand it. That letter inspired me to write this letter:
Editor:

I thought the letter titled "Ecstatic about Trump" in the June 16 Tribune was satirical. I saw the writer used the German word, “schadenfreude.” I at first believed no true Trump fanatic would even know such a word.

Then I reconsidered. Since the word means to take pleasure in the discomfort of others I thought about the Nazis, who took a whole lot of pleasure in the ultimate discomfort for anyone they deemed not worthy to live in their Aryan world. Consider the Nazi mass murder machine. That reminded me that many backers of Trump are white supremacists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux Klan-types who would be very happy to feel such “pleasure” in bringing such discomfort to people they don't want in America.

I then shifted my opinion, and knew the letter was not satire, but from a true Trump fanatic!

Sincerely, Postino

3 comments:

Kirk said...

I keep hoping Trump is a satire.

David Miller said...

Par - Great response to that repulsive letter. If Hitler came to life and started recruiting for a new Nazi Party, he would start with the people who backed Trump and probably have no problem filing the ranks. It always saddens and upsets me when I find out just how many Americans are racists bigots.

Postino said...

Kirk, Dave...we have all been surprised how many people there are out there who are driven by hate. Trump fed right into their frames of mind.